Moving tips are invaluable, especially if it’s your first time relocating to a new apartment. The trick is finding reliable tips that are useful to your situation. The internet has a wealth of information on moving, but sifting through pages of information can take hours. If you’re hiring a moving company, they typically have brochures that include helpful moving tips.
In the meantime, here are some moving tips that you might find useful:
- Plan ahead. The more time you dedicate to planning, the less stressful the move will be. As soon as you know you’re moving, make a list of things that need to be done.
- Be realistic about how much stuff you have and figure out the best way to transport it to your new place.
- Consider finding a sitter for your kids on moving day.
- Measure stairways and doorways in your new home to assure your existing furniture will fit. Don’t assume your massive armoire will easily slide through that narrow doorway and then have a meltdown when it doesn’t.
- Try to take some time off from work for packing. And definitely request the entire day for the actual move.
- Set up reminders on your calendar for important tasks, such as notifying utility companies, sending out change of address notifications, scheduling cable and internet service, etc.
- With a black marker, indicate the contents of each box as well as the room it belongs in.
- Sort and purge! Now is the perfect time to go through your belongings and figure out what you no longer use or need. Contact a local charity to see what items they accept, and then responsibly dispose of the rest at either the recycling center or landfill.
- Before moving to new place, arrange a walk-through to assure that everything is in order. Also do a walk-through with your existing landlord to prove you’re not leaving any damage behind.
By planning ahead with these tips, you are more likely to have a stress-free move and can spend your time enjoying your new apartment!